A Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Glossary
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of constructing entire websites and the individual webpages within them in such a way that they will be discovered and indexed by search engines.
SEO success comes from producing quality web content with well-placed keywords and staying up to date with search engine industry trends and terminology. Take a look at the terms below to gain a clearer understanding of what SEO means to your Tucson business.
- SERPs: When you enter a keyword query in a search engine, a list of webpages will appear in your browser window. This result is called a SERP, or Search Engine Results Page.
- Domain Authority: Domain Authority is a metric designed to score how likely any given domain is to rank in major search engine results.
- Page Rank: Google assigns each page on the web a rank of importance from one to ten. The basic idea of page rank is to assess the SEO value, from most important to least important, of any given webpage.
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising: With the goal of directing traffic to websites, businesses pay search engines and online publishers for each click their strategically placed advertisements get.
- Long-Tail Keywords: As opposed to one-word keywords, long-tail keywords are phrases of three or more words designed to be more specific than one keyword alone.
- Panda Update: First released in February 2011, The Panda update altered Google’s search results algorithm with the intention to demote pages with unsatisfactory content.
- Penguin Update: Released in April of 2012, the Penguin update was aimed at diminishing the strength of websites that use keyword stuffing, low-quality backlinks, and other black-hat SEO techniques to cheat search engine rankings.
- SEO Authority: A determination for how well a page will rank within a search engine.
- Web Crawler: Alternatively known as ants and bots, web crawlers methodically browse the web to create an index of data.
- White Hat SEO: A broad term that describes accepted SEO techniques geared towards attracting a human audience as opposed to simply ranking high on a search engine.
- Black Hat SEO: The antithesis to white hat SEO, black hat SEO is the use of unethical SEO manipulation tactics in order to increase page ranking. These methods are being penalized by Google’s latest updates.
The experts at Anchor Wave can use organic SEO to transform your website into an enormous asset for your Tucson area business. Find out how by calling us at (520) 622-3731 today.